San Albino is one of the oldest parishes in the Mesilla Valley.
It was established by order of the Mexican government in 1851.
In 1906, the present building was constructed on the foundation of the original adobe church.
The bells of San Albino date to the early 1870s.
The people of La Mesilla had always been under the leadership of the bishop in Durango, Mexico, however, a papal decree created the Vicariate Apostolic of New Mexico in 1850. San Albino got its first permanent pastor, Padre Bernardino Hinojos, in 1852. The Gadsden Purchase, 1853-4, added portions of present-day southern Arizona and New Mexico including La Mesilla. Mesilla was transferred to the New Mexico diocese. The shepherd of this new diocese was a Frenchman, Bishop Jean Baptiste Lamy. By 1856, the primitive [mud and logs] structure [on the south side of the plaza] was replaced on the north side of the plaza by a traditional Mexican church, a fortress style providing protection from raids.
Due to the French-European influence, the adobe structure with which the Mexican settlers were familiar was replaced in 1855-1857 with French architecture. In 1872, San Albino parish became part of the Vicariate Apostolic of Arizona, under Frenchman, Rev. Jean B. Salpointe.
It was during this time, in 1876, that the first bell for the church was commissioned. This small copper bell is believed to have been cast at the old rectory on Calle Picacho. Two bells named Sagrado Corazon de Jesus and Maria Albina were cast in 1886 and hung at San Albino. In 1887, the final, and largest of the San Albino bells, Campana Grande, rang out across the Mesilla Valley. In keeping with Catholic tradition the bells, including Sagrado Corazon de Jesus were christened and given godparents to care for them. Today, the bells are still rung to wake parishioners and call them to Mass.
In [April] 1908, the present-day Romanesque church was dedicated. It stands on the same site that the original church occupied on the north end of the plaza.
People departing following the April 12, 1908 dedication. This is the Basilica structure in use today.
In 1916 San Albino came under the jurisdiction of the bishop of El Paso, Texas. Since 1982, San Albino has been part of the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Las Cruces.
In 2008, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments in the Vatican granted minor basilica status to San Albino. Dedication of San Albino as a basilica took place on November 1, 2008. This date is the Feast of All Saints.